pxl
pxl
pxl
   
  General Information
  Odessa Guide
  Map
  Street names

  Coffee shops

  Transportation

  Air Travel

  What to do in Odessa

Deribasovskaya street (Дерибасовская)

 

History of De Ribas and Deribasovskaya
Deribasovskaya was named after Frenchman Iosiph Mihailovich De Ribas. De Ribas, along with Alexander Vasilievich Suvorov (See box, below) fought to liberate the Odessa region and was a central participant in the foundation of the city.

De Ribas was only twenty in 1769 when on the way back from Ireland he met Count Orlov. Clever and well bred, De Ribas made a good impression on the count and he invited him to Russia. In 1772 De Ribas enlisted in a volunteer in the Russian Black Sea Fleet. In 1780 he was transferred to the army as a commander of a regiment. (Click here for photo of De Ribas)

Before the assault on the Ottoman fortress of Izmail, four founders of Odessa met onboard the ship:

Iosiph Mihailovich De Ribas
Duke Armand Emmanual Richelieu, Odessa's first mayor

Count Alexander Fiodorovich Lanzjeron, Odessa's second mayor
Franz De Volan, Dutch engineer who assisted De Ribas in the overseeing of the building of Odessa

Late on the night of September 14, 1789 the castle Eni-Duni was captured by De Ribas's regiment with the help of Ukrainian Cossacks.

Spanish by origin, De Ribas always kept his Naples citizenship while serving in Russia.

De Ribas was a firm supporter of Odessa. No foreign specialist were used in the construction of Odessa/ Khadjibei, and all work was entrusted to Russians.

De Ribas created special building plots, dividing Odessa region into 30,7000 plots, for special towns and provinces. De Volan oversaw the distribution. To develop the land quickly it was declared that those who settled in Odessa would be free from taxes and be given a loan to build a house.

De Ribas first lived in a small house on Polskaya Street (Польская). He later built a two story home with a garden. This street which the house was built on is now modern day Deribasovskaya.

In 1798 De Ribas moved to St. Petersburg, taking the job as the director of the Forestry Department. De Ribas died in December 1800.

(For more on Alexander Vasilievich Suvorov, founder of Odessa, see below; and Deribasovskaya park, Another plaque honoring De Volan is found at the middle of the Lanzjeronovskaya stairs)

Pushkin lived on Deribasovskaya for a short time at Reno hotel, dined at Otton's restaurant, and frequently visited Richelieu institute, Deribasovskaya 16.

The street is mentioned in books by writers Katayev, Kucher, Simonov, and Smolich, Tolstoy, Yanovsky.

Alexander Vasilievich Suvorov, founder of Odessa.

Suvorov was born in 1730 in Moscow to a noble family. His father served under Peter the first and rose to the rank of general. In 1742-1747 Suvorov studied military tactics with his father. In 1747 he joined the Russian army. Suvorov played a vital role in the liberation of the Black Sea Northern Coast. He fought and stormed the Turkish fortress of Izmail in December 1790 and liberated the Odessa region.

Suvorov took an active part in the development of Odessa. He clearly understood that it was essential to erect a quick fortress and port to discourage future Turkish attacks.

Suvorov supervised the building of a fortress in Kherson. De Ribas and his close collaborator, a Dutch engineer named Franz De Volan, Recommended Khadjibei as the site for the region's principal port. The group also oversaw the building of the fortifications in Ovidiopol and Tiraspol.

Suvorov campaigned vigorously for the fortress being built in Khadjibei. Khadjibei's harbor was deep and nearly ice-free. Breakwaters, on the model of those found at Naples, Livorno and Ancona, could be cheaply constructed and would render the harbor safe even for large fleets. The Governor General of Novorossiya, Prince Platon Zubov - one of Katherine's favorites - gave decisive support to the latter proposal.

On May 27, 1794 Katherine the Second gave the following order:
"Taking into account the favorable position. of Khadjibei on the Black Sea and the possible profit connected with it, we declare it necessary to build a military harbor and merchants pier."
Modern day Odessa was born.

She immediately sent twenty-six thousand rubles to De Ribas and De Volan to build a harbor. For the protection of the seacoast from potential future Turkish invaders they built a fortress with ramparts and moats near Khadjibei. This new settlement was given the name Odessa.

The plan was to build the city and port with three harbors in five years. The builders used natural ravines which cut through the Black Sea Coast plateaus as roads. The location for the port was chosen well, the bay freezes only once every 5-6 years.

The street was planned carefully, which can still be seen today. Wide straight streets were outlined.

There were problems in the building of the city, including a shortage of workers and construction materials (especially wood). The city and port were completed on March 1st, 1795.

In late 1796, the general left Ukraine, his work complete.

In 1970, in celebration of the 175 years of Odessa, Primorsky Boulevard was renamed Suvorova. After independence, along with hundreds of other streets, the name reverted back to its old name of Primorsky.


Historic photo of Deribasovskaya Street

De Riba monument
Including Geft war plaque, Lenin brother's home

State bank
&

Black Sea Fishing Association
"Antarktika"
Catholic Church

Dom Kenegy

(Square) Bazaar

Deribasovskaya park
Including Utochkino Movie Theater monument
12 Chairs monument
Leonid O. Utesov bench monument
Public Toilet
On the west side of this park is a pay toilet, between the Klarabara (Кларабара) and the glass Voronstov (Воронстов) resturaunts.
Passaj Shopping Mall

Yu-vel-irn-eighy Souvenir Shop
and

Underground Walkway for Deribasovskaya and Preobrazhenskaya (Преображенская) Streets

Kiosks and street vendors on Deribasovskaya and throughout Odessa
(Warning: eat kiosk meat at your own risk, severe stomach problems may result)

In Odessa, like most of Ukraine, there is a profusion of permanent kiosks and impermanent shaded tables lining the streets. In addition to the cigarette, stationary, and flower sellers, there is a wide variety of food venders. Roasted semichky (Семечки), or sunflower seeds, and nuts are some of the most ubiquitous temptations. Both are sold by the sta-kan (стакан), or glass, and cost one Hryvna or less. Do not be surprised to see people chewing on sunflower seeds and spitting the shells into the street.

For a more substantial snack, try shaurma (шаурма)or shashlik (шашлык). Shaurma is an Arabic treat that consists of meat - usually chicken - cooked on a large spit and shaved off into waiting wraps. Shashlik, meat cooked on skewers, is a Ukrainian and Russian tradition, and the excuse for many a beach or forest picnic. Good shashlik or shaurma is an inexpensive, traditional, and rewarding treat.

Another tasty traditional dish, available almost everywhere, is pirojzky (пирожки). Pirojzky are pies, usually fried, and filled with cabbage (kapoosta / капуста), cherries (chereshnia / капуста), meat (myasa / мясо), potatoes (kartoshka / картошка), or other fruits and vegetables. They are usually fried before your eyes and wrapped in paper for easy handling. When fresh, they can be really scrumptious. You can also buy baked pirojzkovy, which are usually filled with cherries (chereshnia / черешня), apples (yabluka / яблоня), or poppy seeds (mak / мак). These are available alongside a number of other delectable buns and breads at bread kiosks.

Sweet foods
For those with a sweet tooth, bliny (блини) or little pancakes, are a tasty option. Bliny are thicker than crepes and closer to the American pancake. They are usually served with jam and/or sour cream (smetana / сметана). The other popular sweet treat is ice cream (morojzeno / мороженое), which is somewhat of a national obsession. In the spring and summer large white coolers appear magically on the streets outside grocery stores and cafes to join the plethora of ice-cream kiosks. There are a variety of frozen temptations, though chocolate covered ice cream on a stick, plumbeer (white ice-cream in a waffle cone), and ice-cream sandwiches are the most popular. Almost all restaurants offer outside seating in the summer, which provides great ice-cream eating opportunities as well.

You will have no problem finding soda, water, beer, Rum Kola, and vodka to follow your snacks. If you seek cold refreshment, however, be sure to ask for holodniy (cold / холодный), because unplugged refrigerators can yield deceitfully warm drinks. It is legal to drink alcohol in the streets in Ukraine, and a favorite Odessa past-time is to take a stroll or chat with a friend in Deribasovskaya Park (Gor-saud/ Горсад) with a cold beer. Many snack kiosks offer shots of vodka in plastic glasses for thirsty Odessites.


From frockland at virtualtourist.com

 

Continue your virtul tour by continuing along Deribasovskaya
Back to Odessa Guide main page
Top of Page

pxl