pxl
pxl
pxl
   
  General Information
  Odessa Guide
  Map
  Street names

  Coffee shops

  Transportation

  Air Travel

  What to do in Odessa

 

 


Museums, theaters, zoos, other attractions

Theater Tickets
Central Theater Cashier (Центральная театральная Касса)
Preobrazhenskaya 28 (Преображенская)
(Just west of the Deribasovskaya park/ Gor-saud (Горсад))
Tel: 22-02-45
Open 10 am - 5 pm

Deribasovskaya 10 (Дерибасовская)
(Corner of Rishelevskaya (Ришельевская))
Being remodeled Summer of 2002

In front of the Deribasovskaya (Дерибасовская) McDonalds is a theater booth that is
officially open from 10 am - 5 pm everyday in the summer. In reality it is often closed.

Museums in Odessa are usually former palaces. They are both elegant in the exterior
and interior. Many of museums employees will follow around patrons and turn off the
lights as they leave rooms to save money on electricity bills.

Museums
Theaters
Other Attractions
Don't Bother

Museum/ Attraction name
Museum/
Attraction Name Russian
Recommended by guide
Museum/
Attraction Address
Museum/
Attraction Address (Russian)
Cost
telephone opening Hours Webpage and E-mail Translation / Guide Photos History Architecture General Comments
Museums
                         
Archeology Museum
археологический
_
Lanzheronovskaya 4
Ланжероновская 4
5 Hr
2 Hr Ukrainian
Jewlery and coins room in basement
5 Hr purchase at desk
22-63-02 10 am - 5 pm
Closed Monday
During Remodeling only open Saturday and Sunday
arhaeology@farlep.net www.arhaeology.farlep.odessa.ua Two high priced books are available to expalin what is available in the museum: "Ancient Greek Sites on the Northwest Coast of the Black Sea" $25 (English, Russian) "Greek and Cypriot Antiques in the Archeological Museum of Odessa" $25 (English, Greek)
5 Hr Photos
10 Hr Video Camera

The archeaology museum is the oldest museum of the city, founded in 1825. The original building was designed by the architect G. Toriccelli.

Sixty years later, the collection of the museum grew to big for the original building. In 1883, with the classical style design of architect F. Gonsiorovsky, the museum was rebuilt as it stands today .

_________________________________________________

In front of the museum, sheltered by fir trees, is a white sculpture labeled "LAOCOON". This is a replica of the sculpture created by Agesander, Athenodorus, and Polydorus in 125 BC, unearthed in Rome in 1508 and now in the Vatican. "In Greek mythology, Laocoon is a priest of Apollo who warned the Trojans that the wooden horse left at the gates of the city by the Greeks was a ruseful device to trick the Trojans. While he and his two sons were sacrificing to Poseidon at the seashore, two serpents came from the water and crushed them. The Trojans interpreted this event as a sign of the gods’ disapproval of Laocoon’s prophecy, and they brought the wooden horse into the city. Subsequent events vindicated Laocoon’s judgment, however, since the horse was filled with Greeks, who waited until night and then sacked Troy. [this statue] shows Laocoon and his sons in their death struggle. This Hellenistic sculpture had an important influence on the artists of the Renaissance." --Columbia Encyclopedia, 6th Edition, 2001 The entrance has a portico of four "Corinthian" columns resembling a Roman temple. Located on a steep hill leading down to the Port, the museum is asymmetrical (disporportional). Flanking the entrance on either side are small grave memorials from the nomadic Polovsty tribe in the 12th century."

___________________________________________________

In the summer of 2002, the museum was being extensively remodeled. Many of the pieces are currently not being exibited, and only the basement and art gallery are open. This work will be finished in the summer of 2003 at the earliest. During this time, the museum is only open Saturday and Sunday.

The eleven halls, when opened again, will have over 160,000 exhibits.
It has local collections as well as Greek, and Roman artifacts. Displayed are late Bronze age and Trypilian artifacts, and Black Sea Hellenic sculptures.

The Egyptian hall, a dark room in far corner of the basement, is the most interesting exhibit in the museum. It is the third largest Egyptian collection of the former USSR, superceded only by the Lenigngrad and Moscow museums. The collection has funeral inventory, seven wood and stone sarcophagi, and hieroglyphic stone slabs and fragments of papyrus.

In the basement is a special room (that costs an extra 5 Hr) of coins dating back to the 5th century from across the world. This room also has jewlery from the early Greek Black Sea settlements (5th century to 1st century BC).

____________________________________________________________________

Belshchunov A.V. museum, Private collection of
Частных Коллекций А.В. Блещунова
_
Polskaya 19
Польская 19
2 Hr 22-10-81 10 am to 5 pm
Closed Wednesday
www.farlep.net/~bulat 10 Hr for English guide
5 Hr Russian guide
Not allowed The plaque on the front of this building says:

The exhibits presented to the city from the collection of public worker and collector Alexander Vladimirovich BLESCHUNOV (1914-1991) serve as a basis for the Museum of personal collections named after A.V. Bleschunov
  This museum is similar to the East and West museum but much smaller and cramped, located in the former apartment of Alexander Belshchunov. Belshchunov collected art from around the world in the early 20th century. During his lifetime his apartment was a meeting place for many of the most prominent artists of Odessa. In his will he gave the city his apartment and his entire collection. Exhibits are arranged by theme rather than chronology. This collection includes a western European hall with German porcelain and fans, the oriental room, a Greek Orthodox room with many icons, a Central Asia room with Persian carpets, a Ukrainian room with icons painted on canvas and folk arts, and a room devoted to the history of Odessa in the 19th and eary 20th century.
East and West Art Museum

Odessa Museum of Western and Oriental Art
Западного и Восточного Искусства
Pushkinskaya 9
Пушкинская 9
3 Hr
2 Hr Ukrainian
22-84-90 10 pm - 6 pm
Cashier works until 5pm
omwea@paco.net
www.mednet.odessa.ua/mz/zvi/
At the desk is the light green and brown covered book with the title "Одесский Музей Западного и Восточного Искусства" (Odessa Museum of Western and Oriental Art). The first section of this 56 page book is in Russian, the second section is in English, and the third is in German. Pictures of the Museum pieces are shown throughout the book in all three languages.

No English guide
Russian guide 15 Hryvnia
15 photograph
30 video camera


The museum was built by architect Ludwig Otton in 1856. Before the Soviet revolution it was owned by a rich merchant. The museum was founded in 1920. It's collections include western European and oriental antique art. The Western European collection includes canvases by Italian, French, and Dutch painters.
A quaint palace with a light blue four column entrance. The entrance has a large hall in renaissance and baroque styles. A marble stairway leads to the second floor. The interior is richly decorated with molded ceilings, and parquet floors made from exotic woods. The museum has over 6,000 exhibits, on two floors, in twenty three halls. Its three sections are antique, Western European, and Oriental art. The biggest collection is Western European art. Italian art is the most comprehensive. There are also paintings by Dutch and French painters. The collection includes art dating from the 15th century Renaissance period up to the early twentieth century.

The museum also has a three room modern art gallery.



Fine arts museum

Photos of some of the art pieces:
www.odessaglobe.com/russian/institutions/art-museum/art-museum.htm

Художественный
Sofievskaya 5A
Софиевская 5A
2 HR 23-72-87
23-84-62
10:30 am to 5 pm
Closed Tuesday
museum.odessa.net/fineartsmuseum 40 Hr English translator and guide,
20 Hr Russian guide
(Please note: it appears that the English guide works sporadically, it is probably best to call ahead)
photos and video camera are forbidden The palace was built between 1805-1810 in Russian classic style by an unknown architect. It was once owned by S. Potoksky. The plaque on the front of the palace states that: "This palace was donated to Odessa in 1889 by Grigori Marazili a well known arts-patron, to build the fine arts museum" The musem was opened in 1899.

The original art collection consisted of a small educational collection of pictures of the Odessa drawing school. Over seventy paintings were donated by the the St. Petersburg museum of Arts.

Before the Soviet Revolution the expostion contained many canvases by Western European masters, but almost no works of Ukrainian art. After the revolution, siezed private Odessa collections were also incorperated into the musuem.

During World War Two, most of the exhibits were evacuated to the rear of the building.

Since Ukrainian independence, many of the pictures glorifying the Soviet Union have since been removed.


The palace has a six column Corynthian porticio, bas-relief frieze, and lateral wings forming a deep semicircular court. The many spacious halls of the palace have painted and moulded celing decorations, fine marble mantlepieces, and patterened parquette floors. --Information gathered partially from the very patriotic "Odessa State Art Gallery" Brochure, written by Y.A. Galker during the Soviet Union

On the east wall, under the bust of a woman, and above the wreath, the memorial plaque states:
KAS’KO Natalia Iosypivna, Honoured worker of culture in Ukraine, Director of Museum, 1980-1995
Today the museum's twenty-six halls display a rich collection of paintings. There is also a collection of 15th-16th century Russian icons.
Greek Collection Fund
Фонд Греческой Культуры
_
Krasny 20
Красный переулок 20
free 23-82-72 10 am - 5 pm
Monday-Friday
__ No translator photos and video camera are forbidden     Odessa was always a center of revolutionary movements. In 1814 a secret revolutionary society of Greek patriots, "Philiki Eteria" was founded. The society played a major role in preparing for the Greek national liberation revolution of 1821-1829. This museum honors these revolutionaries. This is a small two floor musuem, unless you are of Greek decent and are interested in the history of Greece, this museum is really not worth seeing.
Historic Defense of Odessa Museum
(WW II)
Героической Обороны Одессы
Dacha Kovalevskogo 150
Дача Ковалевского150
1 Hr
Students and children 50 kopecks
Veterans free
44-45-27 10 am -5:30 pm
Friday closed
__ 2 times more than entrance free free     The very best part of this museum is actually on the outside. The park surrounding it has a large number of weapons, including several tanks, a boat, dozens of mines, a converted war tramvy, and an entire submarine. During W.W.II several gigantic anti-air guns where stationed here. One has been fully restored. In the trenches where several soldiers lost their lives, a visitor now can see children jumping their bicycles.

This small two room museum, wrapped in Patriotic Soviet Red has many pictures, posters, and small weapons from the ' great patriotic war'.
History and Local Lore Museum
Историко-Краеведческий
Gavannaya 4
Гаванная 4
5 Hr 22-84-90
Fax: 25-05-02
10pm - 4:30 pm
Friday closed
__ 10 Hr Russian guide
15 Hr camera
30 Hr Video camera
    This museum covers the entire history of Odessa from the 14th century to present day. This museum has tens of thousands of pictures and photographs of Odessa, giving the patron a real sense of the spirit of Odessa. The book "Odessa in graphic works in the 19th century" (See guide to books and webpages, page ***) has almost a hundred of these pictures. Included in the exhibits are historical theater tickets, documents, money, military metals, and historical clothing. Old weapons and other exhibits illistrate Russian wars against the Ottoman Empire. Many of the exhibits show the Ukrainian liberation war against Polish magnates in 1648-1654. Included is a section on the Crimean War (1853-1856). There is also a section entiled "Sister Cities" showing the many international cities that Odessa has close ties with.

Inquire about the world war 2 museum (вторая мировая война музей), which is located in the back through a picturesque courtyard with life-sized statues of famous figures. The WW II museum is a large room full of equipment and photos of World War Two, including tropheys captured in battle, the banners of the military units that liberated the city, and the weapons and personal belongings of the Soviet soilders.
Humor Museum
Музей Одесских юморин
_
Lanjeron Beach
плаж Ланжерон
7 Hryvna adults
5 Hryvna children
721-03-28 10 am - 9 pm odessapassage.com
Russian
Russian tour free free      
Literary Museum
Литературный
_
Lanzheronovskaya 2
Ланжероновская 2
9 Hr
3 Hr Ukrainian
Literary Museum courtyard Price: 2 Hr entrance
22-33-70 10 am - 4:30 pm
Closed Monday
museum.odessa.net/litmuseum
Russian only
54 Hr for English Translator
42 Hr for Russian Translator
Museum:
280 Hr photos
350 Hr video camera
Liteterary museum courtyard
21 Hr video camera
10 Hr photos
  This palace was constructed in Russian classical style by Ludwig Otton for Count Gargarin in 1842.

The plaque to the right of the entrance states:
Odessa State Literary Museum.
To Brygin N.A. – founder of Odessa Literary Museum, 1927 – 1985

There is a large black anchor next to a white marble plaque near the entrance to the Literary museum. The inscription reads:
150 years of the Black Sea Shipping Company
The dates 1833-1983 are inscribed on the back.

For a full description of the Literary Museum courtyard, see page **




The Seventeen halls located on the second floor, and are chronologically divided into six collections that trace the history of literature in Odessa of almost two hundred writers. The exhibits highlight the Odessa periods in the biographies of Russian, Ukrainian and foreign poets, journalists, and authors who lived in Odessa --including Pushkin, Gogol, Chekhov, Gorky, and Tolstoy. Many open books and old newspapers are on display.

On the first floor are different monthly photo and art exhibitions. These exhibits are excellent, illustrating a unique part of Odessa culture, and well worth a visit even if the patron has no interest in literature. Exhibitions change at the beginning of the month. Occasionally these exhibitions have English captions.

There is a Bookstore left of the exibition hall, down hallway. It has picture art and history books, collection of history, art, theater, and literary books in Russian

Maritime Museum
Морсского Флота Украины
_
Lanzheronovskaya 6
Ланжероновская 6
2 Hr
1 Hr children
25-02-50 10 am -5 pm
Thursday closed
__ 8 Hr Russian tour Not allowed This museum was originally the English club.

The plaque at the entrance states that in 1918 this was the headquartes of the Odessa Regional Communist Party of Ukraine Commitee.

It was opened as the USSR naval museum in 1965, being Odessa's youngest city museum..
The palace was built in 1842 by G. Toriccelli in classical style.
Like the archeology museum, the naval museum was built on a sharp incline. The facade facing the Opera Theater has only one story, and the side facing the Archeology museum has two. The white hall off the museum with its classical lines and large windows is the most beautiful.
Both the interior and exterior have been completly renovated and new exhibition halls have been built.
The museum has a vast collection tracing the history of Russian/Ukrainian shipbuilding from ancient times to the present. Over 100,000 exhibits are on display in the eleven halls.

This museum has many documents, photographs, diagrams, maps, and finely made ship models, from ancient sailing boats called koches to modern nuclear powered vessels. Also there are instruments found on a bridge of a ship and in the radio cabin.

Military History Museum
Военно-исторический
_
Pirogovskaya 2
Пироговская 2
Free but need a group of 10-20 people a "collective" 29-81-25 11 am - 4 pm
Monday and Tuesday closed
__ Need to call before to set up excursion, prices vary Varies  
Several large weapons such as tanks, planes and rockets flank this museum. The first visit to this museum we were told that a person visiting this museum must be part of a "collective" (group). No matter how much we offered to pay, they would not let us go inside, sighting the price of electricity. The second time we visited the woman said she had to call her supervisor. Her supervisor was not in so we were asked to wait for a half hour. We declined.
Port Museum
Одесского Морского Порта Музей
Lanzjeronovskaya spusk (decent--stairs) 2
Ланжероновская спуск 2
Free 729-38-57 10 am -5 pm
__ No excurions No photographs near map   Directly on the other side of this small museum is another cannon. Behind and above the cannon, on the wall, is a large golden plaque. (See page ** for more information on this plaque). This Three hall museum was open in 1998. It was orignially the private collection of documents about the port, but has since expanded to include hundreds of photos of the port. It contains several detailed maps of old Odessa since its birth.

In a newly opened hall, there is a 15 foot model of the entire Odessa port.

The staff is incredibly friendly. Often a Ukrainian woman, the daughter of the founder of this museum, will happily give a free tour to visitors in English.

Pushkin Museum
Пушкинa музей
 
Pushkinskaya 13
Пушкинская 13
9 Hr for tourists
3 Hr for Ukrainians
22-10-81 10 am - 6 pm
Closed Wednesday
__ 42 Hr for Russian speaking guide
54 Hr for French speaking guide
No English guide
Ask at counter, "Usually no photographs allowed" Pushkin lived here for a year while in Russian exile. (Refer to Puskin Bust for more on Puskin) The museum was built in 1821 by an unknown architect. "What lends it particular charm is the original combination of horizontal and vertical components. The facade is divided into three vertical parts, with the two side ones protruding. All three have a common horizontal relief in the form of a cornice over the second story and a bar, which completes the third story built later on. The second story windows are also topped by elegant cornices." (from Odessa a guide, Ruduga Publishers, 1984)

In 1999, for the 200th anniversity of the Puskin's birth, the city erected a monument of the poet in tuxedo, top hat and cane, in front of the museum. This monument instantly became one of the favorite photo sites for visitors to Odessa.
The guides in this museum are quite uptight and may snipe at a visitor for being too loud. Next to Pushkin's writing room, on the right side wall is a pencil drawing of E.K. Vorontsova 1792-1880, which is an itimate picture of Pushkin. Many original manuscripts from Pushkin's writings, often with dowdling of women in the margins and many crosssed out and changed words.. A visitor gets a great idea of how Pushkin wrote. On the left side of the reading room is a copy of a page from Pushkin's book "Eugene Onegin", which Pushkin wrote two chapters of while in Odessa. In the right wing, in the last room, on the top shelf of the cupboard is a fabulous picture of the mayor's office as it appeared on the 10th of April 1889. There are also several other old picture of Odessa. In the left wing, the first picture on the left of Pushkin's bust is a photo of Sergy Lvovich, Pushkin 's father (1800), and a picture of Pushkin 's mother, Nedejda ("hope" in Russian) Osipovna (1810).

The third picture from Pushkin's Bust, is Pushkin's uncle, Vasily Lvovich.

Above Pushkin's uncle is a picture of Pushkin in his youth.

The beautiful watercolor, fifth picture from Pushkin's Bust, is Natalya Nikolaevna, Pushkin's wife.

On the opposite wall, next to the curtains, is a picture of Pushkin's great uncle, Ivan Abramovich Gannibal.

The second picture on the opposite wall is Abram Petrovich Gannibal, Pushkin's great grandfather.

In the corner is a picture of the woman in black is Natalya Nikolaevna Lanckaya, Pushkin's wife in mourning after Pushkin's death. She remarried after his death, so her last name has changed (1842).

From the wall are pictures of Pushkin's children:
Masha
Alexander
Natasha
Gregory

Pushkin had eight children, four which died.

In the corner, a gold bordered round picture shows
Pushkin .

Pushkin's sister, Olga Serebna Pavlishcheva is next to Pushkin's picture.

The picture with a green border and redish brown wood, is Leb,
Pushkin's brother.

In the next room are colorful pictures done by children of
Pushkin and his life.
Wax museum
музей восковых фигур
_
Rishelevskaya 4
Ришельевская 4
11 Hr 22-34-36 10 am - 10 pm
Everday
odessapassage.com
Russian
No excursion, but recording in english and Russian for free 7 Hr Camera and video      

Theaters

Musical and Comedy Theater
Одесский Театр музыкальной комедии __ Panteleimonovskaya 3
Пантелеймоновская 3
Varies 25-09-24 (cashier)
22-01-62
22-17-65 (fax)
 
Театр оперы и балета __ Chaikovskovo 1
(Chaikovskovo is the street behind opera theater, street in front of theater is Lanzjeronovskaya (Ланжероновская)
Чайковского переулок 1
Varies 29-13-29 (Cashier)
29-49-04 (Tel/Fax)
 
Одесская Областная филармония __ Bunina 15
Бунина 15
Varies 25-69-03 (cashier)
22-63-49
22-00-89
 
Puppet Theater, Odessa oblast
Одесский Областной Театр Кукол __ Pastera 15
Пастера 15
Varies 23-20-58
23-72-93
 
Russian Drama Theater
Театр Юного Зрителя __ Grecheskaya 50
Греческая 50
Varies 22-48-51 (cashier)
22-27-58 (director)
24-44-63 (Tel/Fax)
 
Ukrainian Drama and Music Theater Одесский украинский музично-драматичний Театр Summer 2002
Currently
closed and
under
construction
Pastera 15
Пастера 15
Varies 23-53-18
23-89-77 (cashier)
23-55-66 (fax/tel)
Founded in 1925 this theater was one of the first Ukrainian theaters in the country.

Other Attractions


Akva-terapium zoo attraction
Акватеррариум _ Novoshch-epnoi Ryad 25

(behind Privoz bazaar)
Новощепной ряд 25
2 Hr Adults
1 Hr children
22-55-89 9am -7 pm
pet shop
10am - 7pm
exhibition
__ N/A Allowed   Behind Prevoz (Привоз) market/ bazaar is an interesting two room fish and reptile collection. Displayed here are several dozen tanks of exotic fish, some interesting reptiles, and two sluggish crocodiles in two separate, inhumane small cages.
Amusement Park
парк культуры и отдыха (cluture and relaxation park) Also called "Luna Park" by the locals. __ Novoshch-epnoi Ryad 27

Ilicha Park
(Behind Privoz bazaar)
Новощепной ряд 27

Парк Ильича
N/A 22-09-66
21-40-13
11 am - 12 am
Open May-September
__ N/A Allowed   This small amusement park has a dozen rides.
Botanical Gardens
ботанический сад   Frantsuzsky Blvd. 48/50

Frantsuzsky Blvd. 87
Французский Бульвар 48/50

Французский Бульвар 87
2 Hr adults
1 Hrchildren
63-92-76
63-96-35
63-87-55
63-95-95 (excurisons)
Only excursions __ Russians excurisons at
10 am 12 pm 2 pm 4pm 6 pm
Frantsuzsky Blvd. 48/50 under repair
Free See page **  
Circus
цирк
!
Possibly not safe,
See notes
Koblevskaya 25
Коблевская 25
Varies Cashier 22-19-73
22-22-27
22-12-08
Ticket sales and show times vary __ N/A Allowed The fire escapes in this huge building are locked.  
Snake exhibition
Выставка Юрского Периода (Jurassic period exhibition) _ Primorsky Blvd. 9
Приморский Бульвар 9
4 hr N/A 10am - 9 pm
daily
__ N/A Allowed Two dozen snakes from around the world are found in this basement exhibtion. This snake exhibit, a large basement room located in the maritime theater, is the home of two dozen snakes from around the world.
zoo
Зоопарк _ Novoshch-epnoi Ryad 25

Ilicha Park
(Behind Privoz Bazaar)
Новощепной ряд 25

Парк Ильича
4 Hr adults
2 Hr children
5 years and younger free
22-55-89
25-14-73
9 am - 8:30 pm
cashier
9 am - 8:00 pm
__ N/A Allowed    

Don't Bother

From klod5 at virtualtourist.com

Numismatics

музей нумизматики Not Recommended,
not a real museum
Grecheskaya 33
Греческая 33
  25-02-77
731-51-19
12pm - 4pm
Tuesday-Saturday
In really, almost always closed
museum@te.net.ua
sam@te.net.ua
www.museum.com.ua
This is a one room store that misleadingly fronts as a museum. It is almost always closed.
Tatoo Piercing Museum
N/A Not Recommended,
not a real museum
Preobrazhenskaya 28 Преображенская 28   8-067-480-32-38
8-067-761-08-93
     
pxl