pxl
pxl
pxl
 
  General Information
  Odessa Guide
  Map
  Street names

  Coffee shops

  Transportation

  Air Travel

  What to do in Odessa

 

 


Filatov Research Institute of Eye Diseases and Tissue Therapy

Filatov Research Institute of Eye Diseases and Tissue Therapy
Frantsuzsky Blvd. 49/51 (Французский Бульвар)

This institute was founded in 1936. It is named after the famous Vladimir Filatov (1875-1956). Filatov helped make the institute one of the best eye institutes in the world. He developed and introduced a new method of transplanting the cornea on cases of leukemia. He also developed a new method of tissue therapy by inventing the method of transplantation from the skin. His office has been turned into a museum.


Etched glass window in Filatov institute

Since Filatov's death in 1956, the institute was directed by his student Nadezjda Puchkovskaya. Filatov's grave site can be found inthe large city cemetary.

The institute has developed new methods of surgical and medical treatment for eye burns.

Each year the institute treats 100,000 patients.

The memorial plaque near the entrance reads:

In this building the Hero of the
Socialist Labour, academician
Volodimir Petrovich Filatov,
worked in 1939-1956.
Filatov was the organiser
and head of the
Ukrainian scientific and research
experimental institute of
eye diseases treatment
and tissue therapy. This building is named
after academician V.P.Filatov

The second plaque, with the bust of a woman reads:

In this building the
Hero of the Socialist Labour,
honored Worker of science and technical
sciences of Ukraine, academician of the
National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine
Nadia Oleksandrivna Puchkovska
worked in 1946-2000.
She was the head of
the Institute of eye diseases treatment and
tissue therapy named after academician
V.P.Filatov between 1958-1985.

Across the street from the eye institute is a large building with many large windows. This is the biology, law, geology, and geographical departments of Odessa State University.

Continue your virtul tour by walking to the
Pioneer Children Monument & Champagne Factory
Return to the Frantsuzsky Boulevard Area overview
Top of Page

pxl