pxl
pxl
pxl
   
  General Information
  Odessa Guide
  Map
  Street names

  Coffee shops

  Transportation

  Air Travel

  What to do in Odessa

 

 


Mayor's Office/ City Council

 

Doomskaya Square 1 (Думская Площадь)

This building was built from 1829 to1834, designed by F. K. Boffo in Russian classic style. Formerly this square was called the Birzjevaya (stock exchange) because this building housed Odessa's first stock exchange.

From 1871-1873 the architect F. O. Morandi redesigned it.

Formerly the building had two wings at either end of the central part, forming an open courtyard. It was separated from the square by a double line of Corninthian columns. Later this courtyard was closed in by a wall to create a grand entrance hall, which can still be seen in the entrance. Later another wing facing the sea was added.

When the stock exchange was moved in 1899 to the location of today's philharmonic theater, the city authorities used this building. The square was renamed Doomskaya (city council).

In this building, on January 14th, 1918, Soviet power was proclaimed victorious.

The night before, January 13th, Soviet revolutionaries had seized the railway station, the Odessa military headquarters, telegraph, telephone exchanges, and other major office in the city.

At dawn on January 15th, the government tried to crush this revolution. After two days of fierce fighting, on January 17th, all government resistance was crushed.

Recently, this building was the site of the climax to a long running dispute between the regional chairman and the mayor. The dispute ended on May 28, 1997, when a platoon of black berets armed with automatic rifles and search warrants took over Odessa City Hall in a dawn raid. (For more on this event, see Odessa after independence)


By Galen Frysinger

Construction
Every half-hour, the clock above the entrance chimes the melody "Odessa my town" (the same tune greeting incoming trains at the train station). This is from the operetta "White Acacia" by the Soviet composer Isaac Dunayevsky.


Photo by ediogo virtualtourist.com

Above the railing on the roof are the two female sculptures "Day" and "Night" representing the passage of time.

 

Steps the entire width of the colonnade lead to the entrance. Above the door is displayed Odessa's coat of arms, a four pronged anchor with a red background.

To the left of the entrance is a golden plaque, underneath the Ukrainian trident it reads:

Ukraine.
Odessa City Council.
The Executive Committee

In alcoves flanking the stairs on either side are two statues by the sculptor Luigi Iorni installed into the facade when the building was remodeled in 1871-1873.
On the left side is the figure Ceres, a Roman Goddess of fertility and agriculture.
On the right side is Roman God, Mercury, defender of Commerce, a reminder of the original purpose of this building.
The early governor's of Novarussia (new Russia) and Odessa
Name
Date as governor
1803-1814
1815-1822
1823-1844
Description
(Also on the Medical college at Pushkinskaya 4 (Пушкинская), there is a memorial plaque for the mayor of Odessa from, 1880 to 1895, Grigory Grigoryevich Marazli)

 

Public Toilet
On the North lower side of the building (facing the sea) is a pay toilet. This is reached by walking past the Crimean War Cannon and down the path to the right.

 


Mayors office from the port
Historic photo of the mayor's office


Communist party headquarters
(Present day mayor's office)
bombed in 1941 during World War II.
From Corbis.com


Continue your virtul tour by walking to the
Crimean War Cannon
Top of Page
pxl