pxl
pxl
pxl
   
  General Information
  Odessa Guide
  Map
  Street names

  Coffee shops

  Transportation

  Air Travel

  What to do in Odessa

 

 


Crimean War Cannon

Facing the sea stands a Crimean war cannon, a Russian war trophy seized from the British.

In 1904 it was mounted on a granite pedestal to mark the 50th anniversary of the defense of Odessa during the Crimean War.

The 1853-1856 Crimean War was against Russia and Turkey. Turkey's allies were France and England, which blocked the Black Sea coast. On April 8th, 1854 thirty-two French and British ships sailed to Odessa. The ships demanded the surrender of the city. Odessa ignored this demand. On April 10th, over 350 naval guns opened fire on Odessa. The defending garrison was small and only had 48 small cannons. Most of the coastal batteries were placed unskillfully, so they could not take part in the battle. Only one small battery under Ensign Stcheglov's command were engaged in the battle. Despite the mistakes of the Odessa defenses, the French and English were unable to land their forces. For six hours the Odessa garrison and the naval ships fought. The ships were forced to move away from the coast, and three ships were left to patrol the coast. One of these ships was one of the best naval vessel of the time, the British steam frigate "Tiger".

On the foggy morning of April 30th, the Tiger ran aground near Arcadia, and was shelled by coastal artillery. The crew was taken prisoner and the frigate was set on fire. The crew got so accustomed to Odessa, were they were welcomed with the best bars, that they returned to England with reluctance.

Later divers lifted its engine and eleven guns, some of which were used to reinforce the garrisons and some of the ship was used as scrap metal. In 1904 divers lifted two of the guns, which were given to the city, one of them being set up on the boulevard.

The plaque on the side facing the sea (north) states:
Glory to Russian arms and valiant sons of Motherland who defended Odessa!
On April 30, 1854, frigate "Tiger", having being set on fire by the Russian artillery's shells, exploded near the Srednyi Fountain coast and sunk
This cannon is a war trophy. Its weight is 250 poods and the weight of the shell -2 poods 16 pounds.
(Note: 1 pood equaled 16.38 kg)
On April 10th 1854 the ships of Anglo-French navy approached the coast of Odessa and poured artillery fire down onto port and the city. City defenders demonstrated fortitude and courage. The regiment under the command of the subaltern A.P. Schegolev distinguished itself particularly

There is an old saying about this military monument. An innocence test. If a potential bridegroom was eager to know whether his potential bride was a virgin, he had to bring her to the gun. If the gun fires a shot, than her innocence was guaranteed. (adapted from Odessa, the Almanac)


Historic photo of the cannon

War cannons
There are several other war cannons throughout the city:


Continue your virtul tour by walking to the
Artificial Cave
Top of Page
pxl