Saint Uspensky / Assumption Orthodox Cathedral
(Успенский Кафедральный Собор)
Preobrazhenskaya 70 (Преображенская)
This cathedral was built in 1855-1869, and
is one of the few cathedrals in Odessa that survived
as a cathedral throughout the Soviet era.
Its pastel blue dome raises to a lofty height of
56 meters (184 feet). It was the highest point in
the city until after World War Two.
During Nazi occupation in World War Two, on the eve
of the anniversary of the October revolution, November
6, 1943, Georgi Dyubakin, a Youth Communist League
member, hoisted the soviet red flag on top of the
cathedral. He inscribed "Greetings to our friends
and death to our enemies" on the flag in bright
white letters. Under this he wrote the warning "mined".
The red flag flew over the occupied city for all of
October revolution day, brining brief hope to the
Photo of beggars
in front of this church