pxl
pxl
pxl
 
  General Information
  Odessa Guide
  Map
  Street names

  Coffee shops

  Transportation

  Air Travel

  What to do in Odessa

 

 


Heart of Pushkinskaya (Пушкинская)

Summer on a tree lined street in Odessa (1975)
From Corbis.com

City archives building
Pushkinskaya 20 (Пушкинская)
(South west corner of Zjukovskovo (Жуковского))


Dome of Pushkinskaya 21 (Пушкинская)

The defunct Golden Duke restaurant
Pushkinskaya 22 (Пушкинская)
(South west corner of Zjukovskovo (Жуковского))
1066; 8A index card
Tacky sign at the entrance of golden duke restaurant
1066; 7A index card
Drujzinnik Station sign
Old Soviet era Drujzinnik (Дружинник) Station
Pushkinskaya 22 (Пушкинская)

This was once one of the city's Drujzinnik headquarters, as recognized by the soviet sickle and hammer sign posted above the door. Drujzinna were a volunteer force set up to help police ensure public order.

The first Drujzinna force was established in 1881 by czarist Russia as a self-ruling body to help guard statesmen and imperial processions.

In the Khrushchev era, the Communist Party reestablished the Drujzinna, at the same time forming special groups among Komsomol (the Party's youth organization, similar to the boy scouts) members. Sometimes these citizen police were used by the Soviet Union to clamp down on what it viewed as signs of subversion.

The Drujzinna was so popular that communists planned they would replace law-enforcers when the country finally attained utopian communism.

But the popularity of the Drujzinna dropped. By the mid-1980s, the volunteers were openly ridiculed as they accepted feeble pensioners or unfit youths into their ranks.

To attract more volunteers, the state offered three days off in return for services. Millions of people throughout the USSR became volunteers. But soon, it became clear that it was free time, not idealism, which kept people filling the ranks. Many women would go shopping while on duty, while male volunteers drank away their patrol time. In the late 1980's the free time policy was canceled and the volunteers disbanded.
--Adapted from Lyuba Pronina, The Russia Journal

Soviet emblems
Pushkinskaya 31 (Пушкинская)
(South east corner of Evreyskaya (Еврейская))
Despite being a former Soviet republic, Soviet emblems are hard to find in Ukraine. Along the facade of this building are several soviet emblem designs.
1066; 6A index card
Soviet emblems on the
building at Pushkinskaya 31 (Пушкинская)
Plaque on bright blue building
Pushkinskaya 33 (Пушкинская)
V.M. Kabiolsky - architect,
G.N. Shreter
Student Institute of Civil Engineering 1910-1911

1066; 5A printed (10" x 15") and index card



"Glory be to Labor" at Troitskaya 23 (Троицкая)

Слава Труду
Troitskaya 23 (Троицкая)
(Just west of Pushkinskaya street (Пушкинская) toward Rishelevskaya)

This old building has two large words written on it during the Soviet Union, "Slava Trudu" or "Glory be to Labor".


Sculptural group

Sculptures on the third floor
Pushkinskaya 37 (Пушкинская)
(Just east of Pushkinskaya Street (Пушкинская), corner of Troitskaya (Троицкая))


Golden Angel monument

Golden Angel monument in front of the Center for the Rehabilitation of Invalid Children.
Pushkinskaya 51 (Пушкинская)
(Corner of Bazarnaya (Базарная))

Below the golden angel a plaque reads:

Don't withhold good ...
when it is in the power of
your hand to do it.
(Proverbs, 3:27)

pxl